If you love history just as much as you love nature, then the Connecticut River Museum is made for you! Rain or shine, it’s the perfect day trip activity for your stay at Stonecroft Country Inn. Learn about New England’s history and its natural heritage, and deepen your understanding of the river for past generations at the Connecticut River Museum. Now is the time or never; start planning your trip today and stay with us at Stonecroft Country Inn!
Make your trip unforgettable with you visit the Connecticut River Museum, and discover more activities around Stonecroft Country Inn! Download our free Vacation Guide and cut your planning time in half. You will find all the local recommendations and information you need:
- Outdoor adventures
- Historical museums
- Fun events
- Quaint shops
- Gourmet restaurants
- And so much more!
What You Will See at the Connecticut River Museum
About the Museum
The Connecticut River Museum was established in 1974 as a small organization based on volunteering. Located at steamboat dock, its mission is to preserve the history of the Connecticut River and those of the people who relied on it throughout the centuries. Preserving this heritage is a vital part of the Connecticut River Museum, and as well as offering a platform for visitors to explore, with manuscripts, books, paintings, art, it also organizes programs and workshops to promote the stewardship of future generations.
The Connecticut River Museum offers several exhibits that you can discover during your visit:
- On the Great River: go back in time with this exhibition that takes you back from the Native American communities to the early 19th-century colonies.
- The River That Connects Us: Discover the different resources produced over the centuries by the river and learn about its diverse ecosystems.
- The Vertical Gallery: admire a beautiful mural of the Connecticut River, which winds up and down three floors and covers all 410-miles of its course.
All exhibits are interactive and feature artifacts that make your journey through the museum even more vivid. Explore the Turtle Submarine and take a peek at some original items dating back to the British Raid on Essex!
If you want to get out there and experience the Connecticut River for yourself, then you have the option of going on a river cruise! The Connecticut River Museum offers different adventures which will appeal to your inner Indiana Jones:
- Cruises aboard Onrust: complete your back-in-time experience aboard the Onrust, a replica of Adriaen Block’s vessel, one of the first Western-style ships built in the New World.
- Connecticut River Paddle Explorations: rent canoes, kayaks, and paddleboards and explore the local coves and natural sites of the Connecticut River!
- The Winter Wildlife Eagle Cruise: if you visit during the winter, book a guided tour on the RiverQuest vessel to learn about Bald Eagles migration and nesting process. Enjoy heated cabins and free coffee!
Dive Into New England’s History at Stonecroft Country Inn
Learn New England’s secrets at the Connecticut River Museum and come home later to a comfortable room at Stonecroft Country Inn. Our cozy and elegant accommodations are ideal for a romantic getaway with your significant other. Experience the best of New England’s traditions with all the comfort of modern amenities.
Book our Stonecroft Room and rest in a spacious yet serene atmosphere. Take a hot bath in the private bathroom, relax by the fireplace with a good book and a glass of wine, and spend the best night of your life in our soft king-size bed. Wake up the next day to a delicious homemade breakfast and get ready to start a brand new adventure in lovely Connecticut!
Book your stay at Stonecroft Country Inn today! We look forward to hosting you.