With the new year on the horizon, now is a great time to start planning a getaway this winter, and with so many fantastic things to do in Stonington, CT, a trip to this cozy town in New England should be your next destination. From historic lighthouses and nature areas to excellent shopping and dining options, you’ll find plenty to fill your itinerary.
This area is known for being home to a lovely selection of wineries on the Connecticut Wine Trail. Two of these establishments are in Stonington, including Saltwater Farm Vineyard and Stonington Vineyards. Wine tasting in this gorgeous countryside is by far one of the best things to do in Stonington, CT—even in the wintertime. Before you start planning your vacation days, you’ll want to secure your lodging.
That’s where our Mystic Bed and Breakfast comes in! The Stonecroft County Inn is a delightful place to stay with personable and seasoned innkeepers, luxurious and historic guest accommodations on a stunning country estate, and a delicious and homemade breakfast service each morning of your stay. At our unique Inn, your lodging becomes an integral and memorable part of your vacation. We can’t wait to host you as you discover the best things to do in Stonington, CT! Book your room today.
Fun Things to Do in Stonington, CT
The charming waterfront village of Stonington is about ten minutes east of Mystic, CT. There are so many great activities to explore on a day trip—from shopping and dining to historic sites and museums; the adventures are endless.
Here are our favorite things to do in Stonington, CT, this winter:
- The Stonington Lighthouse Museum: Standing at attention at the harbor of Stonington, this stone lighthouse has been covering this location for more than 170 years. During winter, visit hours are limited to Saturdays and Sundays, but visiting this modest landmark is well worth visiting.
- Shopping at The Velvet Mill: Originally home to the American Velvet Company, this historic building is now a thriving creative community of small businesses and artist studios ideal for holiday shopping, local dining, and spending a day exploring the best things to do in Stonington.
- Wine Tasting on the Connecticut Wine Trail: There are two fantastic wineries in this area; Stonington Vineyards is always one of our go-tos year-round. We even offer a special package that includes a wine tasting with your lodging! The tasting room at Saltwater Farm Vineyard is also a lovely stop, often hosting live music. Wine tasting is one of the best things to do in Stonington, hands down!
- Visit Enders Island: A hidden gem off the coast of Mystic, this 11-acre island is connected to the mainland by a short causeway. While Enders Island serves as a ministry of healing and hope, providing spiritual retreats and other services, guests are welcome to explore these beautiful acres.
- Pop by Dubois Beach: This beautiful yet modest beach might not offer the miles of sandy coastline like the other beaches in the area, but it’s still a wonderful place for a stroll. Bundle up and take in the stunning and classic scenery.
- Explore the restaurants in Stonington: After all of your adventures, you’ll be ready to eat, and there’s a great selection of Stonington restaurants for lunch or dinner. For seafood and stunning views of the Stonington Harbor and Fishers Island Sound, head to Breakwater.
- Grab a Pint at Beer’d Brewing: Located at the Velvet Mill, this local brewery is a fantastic stop for a post-shopping beer tasting or pint.
- Barn Island Wildlife Management Area: This local nature area is one of the best things to do in Stonington for those who love birdwatching, hiking, and snowshoeing. The main trail is about three miles long and offers an easy route for hikers of all skill levels.
Join us at the Best Mystic Bed and Breakfast this Winter
One of the perks of staying at our Mystic Bed and Breakfast is our homemade breakfast! Your mornings are guaranteed to be a delight with delicious food and rustic country ambiance. No matter what you have on your itinerary for the day, it will surely be the perfect place to start and a memorable part of your visit to our Mystic Bed and Breakfast. Our gourmet recipes are filled with local and seasonal ingredients and served in our elegant dining room to light jazz and warm firelight.
Back in your guest room, the gentle ambiance continues. We have modern or historic lodging options depending on the mood you’re looking for. We have ten rooms split between two buildings, our 1807 House and the newly renovated Yellow Barn. Both are beautifully appointed but offer different backdrops for your romantic getaways, solo retreats, or couple’s trips.
We hope you’ll join us in the new year to experience our Mystic Bed and Breakfast. Hospitality is our passion, and we love to share our skills and experience with each and every guest who stays at our Inn. Start planning your next getaway with all of the best things to do in Stonington, CT, and book your lodging today!