For those of us already planning our first vacations of the new year, there are so many fun things to do in Mystic, CT! If you haven’t been to New England or our charming seaport town, 2023 is the time. From sailing on the calm waters of the Long Island Sound and kayaking on the Mystic River to cracking fresh crab legs and wine tasting along the CT Wine Trail, there’s plenty to discover and delight in. This area is ideal for a romantic getaway just for two, a great couples trip, or even a solo retreat to reset and destress.
Thankfully, our bed and breakfast in Mystic, CT, is just the place to relax and unwind during your downtime on a getaway to Connecticut. Our historic and elegant Inn is located just five miles from downtown Mystic, nestled back on a country road for the ultimate privacy, but close enough to all the action and best things to do in Mystic, CT. Our beautifully-appointed guest rooms offer something for everyone, and we’ll treat you to a delicious breakfast each morning of your stay.
Before you start filling out your itinerary with all of the best things to do in Mystic, CT, secure your lodging at our bed and breakfast in Mystic, CT, today!
The Best Things to do in Mystic, CT
- Visit the Mystic Seaport Museum: America’s important maritime past is on full display at this living and working seaport museum. The 19-acre site on the Mystic River is considered the country’s leading maritime museum. You’ll tour National Historic Landmarks vessels up close and personal and visit a working shipyard in a recreation of a 19th-century coastal village. You’ll step back in time and see quickly why this is one of the top things to do in Mystic, CT.
- Tour the Mystic Aquarium: This is a great place to spend an afternoon in downtown Mystic, especially during the cooler seasons. One of our favorite things to do in Mystic, CT, is to visit the California Sea Lions, who are intelligent and gentle creatures.
- Hop Aboard the Argia: To get even closer to the water, step aboard the 81′ classic wooden Schooner, known as the Argia. You’ll experience pristine views of the surrounding islands and scenic coastline dotted with historic homes and lighthouses. This is one of the best things to do in Mystic, CT, during the heat of summer, but it’s also very impressive during the height of fall when the green leaves have turned to vibrant fiery hues.
- The Historic Bascule Bridge: There’s no better view of the Mystic River than from this historic 1922 downtown Mystic bridge. The steel bridge opens every hour allowing boat traffic to sail underneath starting at 8:40 am and ending at 6:40 pm daily— much to the delight of visitors and locals alike.
- Hike at the Denison Pequotsepos Nature Center: You’ll find more than 10 miles of hiking trails on this beautiful 350-acre sanctuary, as well as a historic farmstead and home. It’s also an excellent place for watching the wilderness come to life and spring and birdwatching in the fall.
- Fall Favorites at Clyde’s Cider Mill: This is the oldest steam-operated mill still producing cider in the country, and it’s the perfect destination on a blustery fall day. You’ll love the sweet treats, souvenirs, and tastes of their deliciously-fresh ciders. Open seasonally starting in September, by far one of the best things to do in Mystic, CT, during the fall.
- Tour the Local Lighthouses: There’s a fantastic collection of historic lighthouses dotting the shores in Mystic and the surrounding areas. Visiting the Old Lighthouse Museum in Stonington is worth your time. Climb the 29 stone steps to the top for an exceptional panoramic view of Connecticut, New York, and Rhode Island.
- Sip Along the Connecticut Wine Trail: The Connecticut wine region is one of the fastest-growing wine regions in the country. You’ll find lovely tours and tastings at the local wineries, including Saltwater Farm Vineyard and Stonington Vineyards.
- Shopping in Downtown Mystic: With an amazing selection of boutiques, specialty shops, art galleries, restaurants, and more. Downtown Mystic is bustling and beautiful all year round.
- Head to Olde Mistick Village: This recreated 18th-century New England Village shopping center has cobblestone streets and more than 60 small and unique shops, restaurants, cafes, and a central gathering space. This is one of the best things to do in Mystic to get an authentic look into our charming small town.
- Annual Events in Downtown Mystic: From holiday and boat parades to outdoor concerts and food festivals, there are so many things to do in Mystic, CT, all year round. You’ll also find a lovely selection of local farmers’ markets in the nearby villages, where local vendors offer fresh produce, handmade goods, and creative crafts.
- Exploring our Local Cuisine: There’s nothing better than enjoying a seafood feast after shopping, touring museums, or hiking in the Mystic area. Read on to find out our top five Mystic restaurants not to miss.
Delectable Dining at the Local Mystic Restaurants
By far, one of the best things to do in Mystic, CT, is dining out at our innovative and seasonally-driven restaurants in the downtown area and the surrounding villages. You’ll find it all here, from the famous original Mystic Pizza location to classic seafood eateries shucking oysters and serving big steaming bowls of clams and mussels. Many with spectacular views of the Long Island Sound and the Mystic River. Here are the top five Mystic restaurants not to miss during your visit:
- Oyster Club: It’s all about boat-to-table dining at this fun restaurant in Mystic. Head here if you love oysters as much as we do!
- Daniel Packer Inne: This historic building is home to a lively restaurant and pub. Don’t miss the classic New England chowder.
- Shipwright’s Daughter: Locally grown produce and seafood from local fishermen shine on this innovative menu.
- Bravo Bravo: If you’re craving an Italian meal during your visit, you’ll find contemporary classics at this modern spot.
- S&P Oyster Company: One of the best things to do in Mystic, CT, is to grab an outdoor table at this traditional seafood restaurant.
The Best Bed and Breakfast in Mystic, CT
Our bed and breakfast in Mystic, CT, is a dreamy place to call your home away from home. Set back in the stunning countryside of New England, there’s a draw to this area all year long. Whether you love soaking up the sun in summer, touring the lovely spring gardens, viewing the fantastic fall foliage, or curling up by the fire at the first winter’s snow, you’ll find it at Stonecroft Country Inn. If you’re planning a romantic getaway to Connecticut, there’s no better place to unwind and connect than our beautiful guest rooms.
We offer an array of lodging options, from more classic B&B suites in our historic 1807 house to our newly remodeled modern rooms in the Yellow Barn building. Some rooms offer private balconies, wood-burning fireplaces, and spa-quality en suite baths. All rooms have comfortable amenities to create a welcoming and peaceful atmosphere. We can’t wait to be your hosts as you explore of the best things to do in Mystic, CT. Get your lodging on the books at our bed and breakfast in Mystic today!