When you start exploring all of the best things to do in New England, you’ll be rushing to book your airfare or plan your road trip ASAP. Winter in Connecticut is such a beautiful time of year—while, on average, we experience some chilly days and snowfall in January and February, it’s not rare to have crisp, sunny days ideal for snow sports, wintery walks, and shopping trips into the small villages that dot the countryside.
One of the must-visit areas is the charming borough of Mystic in southern Connecticut. This seafaring town offers a rich history of the maritime industry, lovely local shops, award-winning restaurants, and cozy lodging options. One of the best of those lodging options is the Stonecroft Country Inn, our top-rated Mystic Bed and Breakfast, known for its tasteful accommodations, welcoming service, and delectable morning meals. It’s by far one of the best places to stay to experience all of the best things to do in New England!
Head over to our availability calendar and book your lodging today!
The 10 Best Things to do in New England this Winter
While we wouldn’t blame anyone if they’d rather stay curled up in their cozy guest suite this winter in Connecticut, there are so many amazing things to do in New England during your stay.
Here are the top ten activities near our Mystic Bed and Breakfast:
- Maritime History at the Mystic Seaport Museum: As the largest maritime museum in the US, head to the Mystic Seaport Museum for the historical sailing ships in the harbor, a working replicated village of the marine industry, and interactive exhibits and art.
- Explore the Mystic Aquarium: Another popular destination in downtown Mystic, the aquarium is home to Stellar sea lions (only one of two facilities in the US to house these marine mammals.)
- Take in the Exhibits at the Mystic Museum of Art: Sitting along the Mystic River, this downtown museum is a great space to view contemporary and historical works of art from around New England and beyond.
- Feast at the Fantastic Mystic Restaurants: The dining scene in Mystic is constantly making headlines, from cacio d pepe doughnuts from Nana’s Bakery and Pizza to classic fresh-shucked bivalves at the Oyster Club. Enjoying freshly caught seafood is by far one of the best things to do in New England!
- Grab a Beer at our Local Brewpubs: Sometimes, hanging out at a casual brewery is precisely what we want after an adventure in the snow; check out Barley Head Brewery and Bank & Bridge Brewing.
- Wine Tasting at Stonington Vineyards: The Connecticut Wine Trail is one of the great things to do in New England all year round. While some wineries don’t have winter tasting hours, one of our favorites does! Head to Stonington Vineyards for flights and glass pours.
- Hit the slots at Foxwoods Resort and Casino: This large complex includes six casinos, several restaurants (one a Hard Rock Cafe), and a luxury outlet mall with 70 shops—a great way to spend a winter day in New England.
- Public Skate at RoseGarden Ice Arena: Strap on those ice skates for a classic winter activity in Norwich, CT, about 20 minutes from our Mystic Bed and Breakfast.
- Take a Winter Walk at Denison Pesquotsepos Nature Center: Bundle up and explore the 10 miles of hiking trails at this nature center and animal sanctuary.
- Check out the Stonington Lighthouse Museum: For a well-preserved example of a 19th-century stone lighthouse, head to the Stonington Harbor for a tour and take in the beautiful view. There are more lighthouses to tour—a favorite of all the things to do in New England—especially for out-of-town visitors.
One of the Coziest Places to Stay in New England
Whether you choose to stay in our historic Manor House or the newly renovated Yellow Barn at our top-rated Mystic Bed and Breakfast—you’ll have one of the coziest places to call your home away from home this winter. Depending on the accommodation you book, you’ll enjoy a lovely wood-burning fireplace, a two-person whirlpool tub, or a private balcony for a quiet moment in the fresh New England air.
Our artfully appointed guest rooms are equipped with comfortable feather-top beds, fine linens, towels, and robes, and world-class amenities for a luxurious stay. Join us for an elegant and delicious breakfast each morning—the best way to start your day exploring all the nearby activities in New England.
Before you start filling your itinerary with all the best things to do in New England, get your lodging on the books!